Well the last couple of days have seen a delightful shine in the air. Birds have been chirping, sky is blue with cottonwool balls of clouds dancing along (I know, the words are a tad whimsical but that’s how I feel today 🙂 enjoy it!). My garden is showing signs of life too. Lovely, although it is a teensy bit early so hope we don’t have too much of a downturn on the weather front (forecast is looking a little chilly ahead)
Anyway, I digress. I have found myself recently with a little time off. Apart from napping, I have also been crocheting like a demon and also a spot of baking again. Lovely.
Todays venture has resulted in a batch of lemon curd for my daughter to take back to Uni with her tomorrow so that she can make some lemon curd and white chocolate muffins. Check out my recipe here, for the lemon curd. Keeps for about two weeks in the fridge although we’ve never had it long enough to test that theory!!!
I am hoping she sends me some pics. I have also finally got all the pieces together for my latest blanket, here is a sneak preview of some of the pieces 🙂
The other thing I have been doing is trying to get better at my food photography skills, looking back over the last year to try and find a picture of spring flowers, I stumbled across some pics I took last year that never really got showcased. Apologies for the self indulgence but I really like them despite the fact that one of them is of the peel of a garlic bulb!!! Not to mention that this is the best pic I have produced in the last year (I think!)
I am such a lackadaisical blogger!!! I keep crocheting and lately baking a bit more too. Think to myself, mmm must write up a blog post about that and then promptly don’t. Anyway, the next few posts will (I hope) have new recipes and also some links to some exciting CAL’s (crochet a long) that are coming up or already started.
This post though is motivated by my sweetest, youngest child. In her third year at uni she has decided that it is time to embrace the baking genes that run deep in this family! Text received requesting a recipe for banana muffins. I directed her to my blog as that is where said recipe resides. Shock horror, the offspring has not read my blog. Rude!!!!
Anyway, once over the shock, we discussed the pitfalls of baking without scales and she went ahead and produced a delicious batch of muffins that she shared with her coworkers that weekend. happy days. I am looking forward to the next time she comes home so we can bake something together and post pics.
Although I don’t have a picture of her baking, I do have a really cute picture of Agnes!!
Well, finally am getting round to posting a few pictures of my completed Mandala. I have so enjoyed this pattern. What a generous designer Helen Shrimpton is 🙂
The links to the pattern as well as all the helpful pictures, links to video tutorials can be found here . The video tutorials from It’s all in a Nutshell were truly invaluable, check out the website for those and many other fab ideas .
Here are a few pictures of my finished piece which has already found a new home. Turns out it was almost impossible to get a shot of this thing without at least one cat on it!!!!
Well my Sophie keeps growing and growing. It’s now several feet across and a magnificent beast, even if I do say so myself 🙂 Long suffering husband keeps asking me if I’m done yet. Not sure I have the heart to tell him, I’m already planning my next project 🙂 Tee hee 🙂
I have gone a little astray on the original planned colour placement. I was initially following the spreadsheet template that is in the helpful templates section on the lookwhatimade site. I then got carried away with the gorgeous shade of pink that I have been using and well, I am now making it up as I go along 🙂 Thank goodness that this pattern really lends itself to a more lackadaisical approach to colours. If you have a look online for images of Sophie (and there are lots) you will find every possible colour combination including one I found that used just one colour. It looks divine 🙂 Have a look at them all here .
I have found the last few parts have moved quite quickly which has been very pleasing. I think it has also moved quicker as I have got used to the style and approach of the pattern and so it is getting easier to follow too.
One thing I have noticed is that despite me counting up to sometimes as far as 100, it becomes clear on the next round that I stuffed up somewhere along the line. I think I touched on this briefly on my last post but felt it worth repeating. Once I realise I have missed one or added one it is much much easier to add an increase or decrease on the end of a short side rather than attempt to find out where I miscounted. So far it seems to be paying off and hasn’t caused the pattern to look “off” at all.
Hope you like the pictures, one of my cats decided that this was too good an opportunity to miss 🙂