This year, we decided to try a different recipe for the gingerbread house. Previous years have been a little hit and miss whether it would stay up or not. I really wanted a house to stay the christmas distance. After some internet browsing we settled on the Paul Hollywood recipe found on the saga website.
Nice straightforward recipe. The main differences for me was that the syrups were a measured amount (my previous recipe was spoonfuls of syrup which is why I believe my results have not been consistent) and the ingredients are put together by bread crumbing the dry ingredients and then adding the wet. This gave me quite a soft dough but after resting it in the fridge for the recommended time it firmed up nicely.
Pros – What I liked about this recipe was that the dough rolled out nicely and after baking there was hardly any spreading of the mixture. The shapes stayed true which made putting the house together much easier. The house stayed up for days and days, even once we started to nibble at bits of it.
Cons – The downside was, no offcuts – caused in the past by the spreading and then the need to trim 😉 The other big difference for us was (I felt) it simply wasn’t as tasty as my previous houses. The gingerbread had a much drier texture, more biscuity and wasn’t particularly well flavoured.
It’s tricky to know which way I will go next year as it was lovely to have a house look fab for so long but I missed the flavour of old faithful.
Anyway, enjoy the pics. As always, decorated with royal icing and a selection of sweets and treats.