This year, we decided to try a different recipe for the gingerbread house. Previous years have been a little hit and miss whether it would stay up or not. I really wanted a house to stay the christmas distance. After some internet browsing we settled on the Paul Hollywood recipe found on the saga website.
Nice straightforward recipe. The main differences for me was that the syrups were a measured amount (my previous recipe was spoonfuls of syrup which is why I believe my results have not been consistent) and the ingredients are put together by bread crumbing the dry ingredients and then adding the wet. This gave me quite a soft dough but after resting it in the fridge for the recommended time it firmed up nicely.
Pros – What I liked about this recipe was that the dough rolled out nicely and after baking there was hardly any spreading of the mixture. The shapes stayed true which made putting the house together much easier. The house stayed up for days and days, even once we started to nibble at bits of it.
Cons – The downside was, no offcuts – caused in the past by the spreading and then the need to trim 😉 The other big difference for us was (I felt) it simply wasn’t as tasty as my previous houses. The gingerbread had a much drier texture, more biscuity and wasn’t particularly well flavoured.
It’s tricky to know which way I will go next year as it was lovely to have a house look fab for so long but I missed the flavour of old faithful.
Anyway, enjoy the pics. As always, decorated with royal icing and a selection of sweets and treats.
Finally got around to adding Instagram to my life, just as i was getting away from facebook!
Anyway, do really like the simplicity of adding a few pics and a few words. Definitely keeping it simple.
I have posted a fair few bits recently that haven’t found there way onto this blog so do have a look see. i do plan on posting patterns properly as soon as I can 🙂
Finally completed this beast. It ended up just over 5 foot square. Made with a 4mm hook and style craft special dk yarn. I estimate the cost in the end was around £40. I started my blanket utilising the remnants of my stash which kept costs down too as I didn’t have to actually find any cash to make a start on this.
What I love about making blankets like these is that you can buy yarn very much ball by ball so it never feels like an expensive project. I didn’t plan my colours particularly. I was inspired by the duck egg blue, denim blue, vintage peach, and the buttermilk yellow. I enjoyed adding colours inspired by the previous row.
You can of course plan your colours in advance for a blanket like this. Helen Shrimpton’s website, where the pattern lives (for free, happy days) has suggestions and yarn packs that can be purchased if that is more your thing 🙂 I do enjoy adding colours as I go along though. Never fully sure what she will end up looking like.
Anyway, do check out Crystals and Crochet for all the pattern links as well as video tutorials.
P.S along with the rest of the world, i now have an instagram page too. Loving adding pics quickly and easily. https://www.instagram.com/lornajaneclark/